Tuesday, March 31, 2009

someone's in the kitchen with dina...

So tonight as my meatloaf bakes, I bring you kitchen tips. Yes, I'm also wearing heels and pearls while I cook and my hair is sprayed within an inch of its life. Think June Cleaver.

Tip #1: Make sure dish scrubby is not in drain before running garbage disposal. Otherwise you may learn what a dish scrubby is actually made of. I'll just tell you and save you ruining your scrubby -- that plastic stuff that you scrub dishes with and weird little pieces of sponge. Rats.

Tip #2: There is a right way and a not right way to load the dishwasher. I am fairly sure dessert/salad plates do not go on the top rack. I think that is for glasses, coffee mugs, bowls, etc. I could be wrong...

Tip #3: If you are designing your own kitchen and don't know what to put in that large empty space, may I suggest cabinets. Always more cabinets. Maybe even add on a kitchen annex for more cabinets. Nothing is worse than a lack of cabinet space. Come to my house and you will see every appliance I own stored on top of my cabinets. And a bag of flour on top of the drier.

Tip #4: Always smell the milk to make sure it's good. Because rotten milk is super nasty. I seriously smell it everytime I open the milk to use it. Even if I've already used some that day. It may have turned....

Tip #5: Seal up the brown sugar. Why, you ask. Oh, let me tell you. I had to dump out a 1/4 of my lovely pink Tupperware canister of brown sugar because I failed to put the lid on all the way. Know what happens to brown sugar when exposed to air? Yup, you guessed it. It becomes a giant rock of brown sugar.

Tip #6: The crisper drawer is not the beer drawer. I know, it seems like a really good idea. And in theory it is. However, think about it -- opening and closing the drawer causes the beer to roll back and forth. And what happens when you shake a can of beer (or soda for that matter)? You got it, it explodes everywhere. I suggest keeping it in the door. And then you can open the fridge and smile at all the lovely bottles of Boulevard there to greet you.

Tip #7: When expecting company for dinner, always set the table ahead of time. It will make you look more ready than you may actually be. *I learned that from my mother.

Tip #8: Do not put knives in the oven. If say, you are heating up wings and for some reason you were using a knife in your dinner preparation (???), make sure you do not leave it on the baking sheet. The handle will melt. Yes, the knife may still be usable but it will be a little special.

Tip #9: Tupperware is the greatest invention ever. Okay, that's not a tip. That's just me admitting I love Tupperware. I really truly do. It's a little embarassing. I may need help.

Tip #10: When in doubt, ask someone older and wiser.

No comments:

Custom Search