Sunday, March 29, 2009

chicken enchiladas

It is a common discussion as to who in my family is the best cook. I choose to believe that it is me. This may or may not be correct. But I will usually try to make most anything at least once. Remember the chocolate pie saga? I did make a chocolate pie last week and it turned out beautifully. It was a big hit. As was the beer bread. And as always, the butterscotch brownies.

Very few of the things I make are original recipes, I just hunt until I find the exact right thing. And I'm trying to be better at writing things down when I find them or printing them off and filing them away to use again. Otherwise, I end up going on the beer bread recipe search every time I want to make it. Trust me, I have gone on this search many times. That and the great sugar free peanut butter pie quest. I make it for my grandparents and they love it, but I always have to hunt for the recipe. So annoying.

Anyway, tonight I am making chicken enchiladas. They are absolutely delicious. I switch the recipe up a bit and make it more lasagna style just because I'm lazy and don't like to roll up enchiladas. I got the idea from Alton Brown. But this recipe is from AllRecipes. I love it!
INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch cilantro
1 cup sour cream
2 (7 oz) cans jalapeno salsa
2 (7oz) cans prepared green chile salsa
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
Onion **I only use about half
12 (6inch) tortillas **I believe I use about 6 medium sized whole wheat for the "lasagna style"
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. To Make Sour Cream Mixture: In a blender or food processor, puree cilantro, sour cream, jalapeno salsa and 1/2 can of the green chile salsa. Set aside.
2. To Make Chicken Mixture: In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, onion and the remaining 1 1/2 cans of green chile salsa. Mix well.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
4. Heat tortillas in conventional or microwave oven until soft. Pour enough of the sour cream mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish to coat the bottom. Place 2 heaping tablespoonfuls of the chicken mixture in each tortilla, roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Pour remaining sour cream mixture over all and top with shredded cheese.
5. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 30 minutes, or until dish is heated through and bubbling.

It's absolutely delicious! I can't wait to eat this for dinner. I made it for one of my sisters and it was a big hit.

Saturday was my aunt's funeral. I suppose it was good as far as funerals go. We had a gigantic meal for lunch provided by the church ladies. There was some potato salad my bf loved. He wanted me to get the recipe. So I talked to my mom and had her find out who made it and she got the recipe. So, here we go. Get ready.
WALT'S POTATO SALAD
Boil and chop 4 eggs.
Go to the grocery store deli and purchase potato salad.
Open potato salad container, dump into own container.
Top with boiled eggs and paprika.
Isn't that the best thing you ever heard. I can't wait to tell my boyfriend. And then to maybe learn how to make real potato salad. I have confidence I can do it.

Another one of the dishes we had was made by one of my very favorite people, Sammy. She makes amazing sweet potato casserole that is more dessert than main dish. Everything she has made that I've tried is amazing. Saturday was no different. She brought these amazing lemon bar things. They had a graham cracker crust and a whipped cream topping. And the lemon, so perfectly tart. I hugged her as she walked out the door. She's an older lady and just the sweetest person ever. I talked to my mom this afternoon and she said Sammy passed away this morning. Her husband took her to the hospital last night and this morning she was gone. I saw her yesterday and she seemed fine.

Death sucks. It just doesn't even make sense. I don't know what to say.

On another note. I can't find the jeans I had on earlier. No idea where I put them. Damn.

No comments:

Custom Search