Tuesday, March 3, 2009

being awesome

So sometimes I feel like I am stuck in the 90s. Is it still cool to say "awesome"? I kind of don't think so. But I do it anyway. Quite proudly in fact. I frequently reaffirm my awesomeness. I have some fun domesticness this week. I keep forgetting to buy grey yarn for Meera's scarf. Would somebody please remind me.

I'm making BBQ chicken pizza. That means I need to defrost the chicken so I can cook it. I should be doing that right now. I think that's for tonight.

I'm also making lasagna. It's my mom's best friend's recipe. She (my mom's best friend) died when I was a freshman in high school. She was an amazing person. She was my third grade math teacher. I remember singing along with records to learn our multiplication tables... I also remember a lesson involving Pop Tarts, I don't remember what the lesson was, just the mention of Pop Tarts. I loved Pop Tarts (truth be told, I still do -- the brown sugar & cinnamon ones). It always makes me smile to make the lasagna. It's just warm and comforting. My mom quit making it for a long time after she died because it made her sad. If we had lasagna it was that pre-made kind from Sam's Club. My mom makes the lasagna again now and it makes my heart smile to see her remembering her friend as she stirs the ingredients and cooks the noodles.

We made blueberry muffins in home ec the day she died. I was pulling muffins out of the oven when I heard my sister and another boy get called to the office and I just knew. I knew what had happened. I knew she was gone. I have not eaten a blueberry muffin since that day. They turn my stomach -- the smell, the taste. It was a long time before I could eat any muffins at all.

She was definitely an awesome lady though. Her neice has a very cool tattoo in honor of her aunt. I love it.

So, this week the cooking high lights are the lasagna and this ridiculous pizza. I ate some Stromboli earlier. It appeared magically in my fridge. Mmmm! Thanks BF's mom. It was delicious.

Ooh, I also bought new wine over the weekend. I can't wait to drink it! Not because I'm an alcoholic but because it will be so good! Blackberry and a spiced wine that is to be drank warm. Yum! I'm most excited about the spiced. We bought some about this time last year but I was really sick when we drank it. So I wasn't sure if it was really good or just good because I was sick. I tasted it again when I bought it this time -- yup, definitely that good. You should definitely be jealous.

No comments:

Custom Search