Tuesday, December 2, 2008

banana cake

My next big baking adventure is going to be a banana cake. We (the boy and I) went to a wedding over the Thanksgiving weekend. His table (no, we were not seated together, as he was in the wedding party) had a banana cake. Each table had its own individual cake which I thought was rather clever, my table had spice cake. Anyway, now it has been requested than I make a banana cake in an attempt to duplicate the deliciousness he enjoyed at the wedding.

I’ve never made a banana cake. I don’t really like bananas. But because he asked, I will make it. When I think about baking it though, I keep singing the Jack Johnson song Banana Pancakes, I hate that song. But I will banish the annoying song from my head and make my best attempt at a banana cake, probably while singing along to the Nitty Gritty Dirt band or something else similar. Maybe Alabama Christmas.

So I’ve started thinking about why I’ve become so willing to cook. When I was in college I was happy to eat a bowl of cereal for every meal of the day. I rarely cooked and when I did it was always the same thing – pasta with chicken or butterscotch brownies. I haven’t made that pasta with chicken in years. I still make the butterscotch brownies occasionally for my dad, usually as payment for changing my oil.

I think the cooking change occurred when I had someone who actually wanted to eat my cooking. Someone who had actual opinions on what we should have for dinner and liked whatever I cooked. If something is requested, I try to figure out how to make it. And I love it. I love scouring websites and cookbooks for what I think will be just the right thing. I ask about a million questions, trying to find out what the desired outcome is. I always want it to be perfect. Even if it looks ugly, it always gets eaten and is appreciated.

Now I have a couple of banana cake recipes. I doubt I will do all the trials like I did with my chocolate pie. I think I’ll just pick the one I think sounds best and hope it turns out well. I need to work on my frosting skills though. I make good icing but when it comes to actually getting it on the cake…. That works less well. I’ve been reading tips though. I’m working on getting better.

It’s almost time to start holiday baking. I’m really excited! I’m still thinking about what I’m going to make. I think I’ll probably have to go to my parents house because my kitchen currently is not very large and does not have all the things I’m used to having. This year I’m thinking peanut butter fudge, chocolate covered marshmallows, chocolate covered orange slices, sugar cookies (maybe) and possibly something else. My work Christmas party is Friday and I need to figure out what I’m taking. I just don’t know.

No comments:

Custom Search