Sunday, November 14, 2010

grad school and domesticity are not friends

I am a grad student.  I work full time and am doing my internship.  This means pretty much two full time jobs plus homework and class.  So not a lot of time for cooking, baking, decorating or vacuuming.  Sigh.  I love the first three and don't even terribly mind the last.  So now that I've written my paper for the weekend, I'm making a list of foods I desperately want to make.  Christmas break cannot come soon enough.

Pumpkin cake.  If I can find my recipe I will be making this for Thanksgiving.  Yum.  Hopefully in cupcake form.
Chocolate cream pie.  Absolutely must make this for Thanksgiving.  Can't wait to use my new pot to make it in.  No more hoping there are no chunks of non-stick coating in my pudding.
Doughnuts.  I really want to try homemade doughnuts.  We are buying a deep fryer, this might be the first thing I fry in it.  I even have a recipe for glaze.  Thank you Betty Crocker.  I love you.
Turkey.  We are buying a turkey and I am going to make my first ever attempt at making one.  A little nervous.  I'd rather do it now than when a thousand people are coming to my house for Thanksgiving.
Divinity.  I made it a couple of years ago and it was the most terrifying thing I have ever made.  Boiling sugar for 30 minutes without stirring.  Arg!  But now I have a Kitchen Aid mixer (that I am in love with) so I think the mixing part should be easier. 
Beef stew.  I saw them make one with chocolate in it the other day on Food Network.  I think without the chocolate it would be good.

Come on Christmas break.  Can't wait for a month of no school.  And getting to cook.  And read for fun.  And now it's time to watch football and vacuum. 

No comments:

Custom Search